Saturday, December 15, 2012

Freezer Ice Build-up Tip


I have been procrastinating when it comes to defrosting my upright freezer. There is so much ice on those shelves that I could either build a snowman or carve out an igloo. Meanwhile, I still must put some food in there when I am able to make a great buy or two along the way.

I know from experience that when I put food on top of that much ice, it is prone to freezer burn.

Eureka! I realized I always have a stash of flattened cereal (and other food product) boxes awaiting recycle day. I grabbed one of those and put it on top of the seven-inch thick (well, almost) ice and plopped the food on top of the cardboard. It is a great, even though temporary, solution.

The cardboard allows a flatter surface than the lumpy ice build-up while offering a small barrier between the ice and the food.

I am not stupid, though. I realize that I must still defrost, and very soon. Even when I use those defrost-sprays, I still hate the job.

However, this is a great, again, if temporary, solution.

I just thought I'd pass it along to others who, like me, absolutely hate defrosting their freezers.

No comments: