Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why do I love to pray?

I’ve always loved to pray. It made me feel safe, secure, knowing someone was out there, listening, no matter what time of night or day, no matter how frantic or scared or alone I felt, no matter how silly or serious my problem was, someone was out there listening and caring.

Somehow, though, life always got in the way and I always needed some fast-paced prayers for sudden situations. One of my favorite fast-paced prayers is one that I learned from the Jewish community. In Philly, and again, in South Jersey (Atlantic City, before gambling arrived), I went to school for a couple of years with Jewish classmates, I worked with the Jewish community, I lived in it, and I worked for Jewish bosses. I loved Yiddish words - they seemed to have a word for everything. I loved their courage in the way they spoke to God. In the bible, the old Jewish patriarchs even yelled at God. I’m too chicken to do that! But I often heard the phrase, spoken after a fervent wish or hope was mentioned, “From your mouth to God’s ears.” Quick. Easy. Unforgettable. Perfect!

This type of thinking is what launched my first eBook, “Fast-Paced Prayers for a Fast-Paced World.” I can’t wait to get the paperback in print and launch the rest of the series. Yep, it started as one prayer, and I’ve now got several more in the works. Never be afraid to take that first step, no matter how humble, no matter how small. I always try to ask God for help along the way. Needless to say, I don't always succeed .

No comments: