Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Divine Rap Upside My Head

I had trouble with this laptop once again, today, and it's less than 2 weeks since the last time. Rather than hear "three strikes and you're out," I'm checking into towers. A friend already gave me a nice working flat screen monitor and a keyboard. I thought I'd call two folks I know who repair them, and see if one of them happens to have a tower, loaded with the software I need, lying around their place.

I have no idea how I'll pay for it, but I have to start somewhere.

When the Lord gives me a gentle rap on the side of my head like this, I've got to meet him half way before he has to hit me with a hammer. It has taken me 76 years to catch on to this.

When the laptop refused to start on the 1st of this month (see this post), that time I assumed it was the really old power surge strip, and I bought another. Apparently that was not the cause.

This time, I remembered someone telling me that sometimes you can re-boot a laptop by taking out the battery for a few minutes and then re-inserting it. That's what I did today, and so far, so good.

Still, there are obviously issues with this unit. It was a blessing when a neighbor gave it to me a couple of years ago, free. It had been hanging around his home and he did not need it. I am very grateful for that, but obviously it's time to look into something else.

Another neighbor blessed me a short while ago with their no-longer-needed flat screen monitor and keyboard, so all I need is the tower. However, I need to be sure I have the right software and Windows version on it. All my files are backed up by Carbonite and re-loading them is easy. I am grateful that I listened to my baby brother about Carbonite.

Father, thank you for the head's up on this. I'm trying to take action as quickly as possible, so I pray you have patience with this rather slow-to-act mortal. Meanwhile, bless my brother abundantly for his advice about the backups, and my neighbors for their blessings of the monitor and keyboard. I'll let you handle the tower.


No comments: