Sunday, April 10, 2016

Roof Leaking Again, But I'm Not Worried This Time

Back in October, I had an issue with my double wide mobile home (almost 40 yrs old) roof leaking in the living room directly over my old tv/vcr setup. It was coming down on the tv, analog converter box, and indoor antenna. I had to borrow money from a friend in order to coat the roof.

My roof was such a mess that the contractor's guys were on their hands and knees sealing all the cracks, pits and holes up there. Only then did they coat it. At that time, we were not at all sure we got the reason for that leak.
Unless you understand roof leaks (and in my 76 years, I have experienced about half a dozen), you might not realize the cause is not always obvious. 
It can start at one end of a roof, run down a slightly graded beam and exit far from the source. With all the holes and damage I had up there, it still had to be sealed and coated.
When I first considered it, neighbors tried to talk me into a cheap job from a community handyman. I had already been that route before. This time I wanted and needed a good job that would last me at least 5 to 10 years.

This leak could even be from a seam between the roof and the house structure itself. It only happens when there is a really blowing driving hard rain, as if it is going in sideways. That is really hard, if not impossible, to pinpoint. So I need divine guidance here, my friends.

Of course, with the leak over my viewing setup, I turned everything off and was without TV from 1 yesterday afternoon until 4 this afternoon. No biggie. I crocheted. I filled out paperwork that needed to be done before a visit to County offices in the morning. I did other "stuff." The cat slept.

Lord Jesus, you and Joseph worked with your hands at carpentry and other earthly jobs. I thank you with all my heart for what you did for me in the fall when the leak first appeared. These men are skilled but they need additional help this time to further diagnose the final cause of this one stubborn leak. Please guide them with your compassionate wisdom so we may all see a happy outcome.

2 comments:

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

ohhhh...I feel for ya with roof and ceiling leaks, we dealt with leaks in the kitchen for 12 years....it got VERY old. Finally had it fixed the right way and we are much better off....no leaks!!!

Evelyn Mayfield said...

I'm so glad that it was finally fixed for you. Some leaks are very very difficult when it comes to locating the source. In CA once, in a 6-unit apartment building, we were on the top floor and it leaked from 1/4 of our "pebbly" ceiling many times until they located the problem - are you ready for this? Somewhere along the way, someone in one of the apartments tried to put up their own outside antenna and didn't know what they were doing and when they anchored it to the roof, they put little tiny puncture holes down through the roofing material - so hard to spot. This will work out.