Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Peaceful and Full-Filling Birthday



Yes, I did take liberties and purposely misspelled "fulfilling" in the title for this post. 

That's because one of the first things I did today was go to Denny's with a friend/neighbor. I totally filled up with their free (on your birthday) Original Grand Slam - for the uninitiated, that's 2 big pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausage links and 2 pieces of bacon. I bought my own coffee - I had to wash all of that down somehow! 

It's rare for me to eat that much so early now that my eating habits have changed. Two years ago, that would have been normal.

Three days ago, I was at IHOP with another freebie - a big stack (4 monster-size) pancakes. Last year, I joined their email club and this was my "anniversary" gift. I was allowed either their Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity selection, or any of their regularly offered pancakes - just no combo's. So I tried their Harvest Grain Nut stack. I had to bring 2 of them home and froze them for another time. 

Then they sent me another email for my birthday "gift." Yep, another free stack. I have about a week to use that up - thank heaven! This time, I'll try their double blueberry variety with blueberry compote topping.

The thing is, last year I discovered the online free food world! I normally do not "do" my birthday. But I am not stupid. If broadcasting my birthday to those restaurants, online, and giving them my email addy, brings me this joy and this many calories, then, shoot, I'm all for it.

I've also got things lined up, over the next few days, which include a free scoop or cone of Baskin Robbins, free drink from Starbucks, free shake (with purchase) from Arby's, free slice from Sbarro's, donut and coffee from Krispy Kreme (worth the drive I must make for this one), something from Ruby Tuesday's, and more. 

I have to "pass" on some of them, if the purchase and/or the drive, required to get the freebie negates the benefit - as I said, I'm not stupid. But I've got to tell you, this is fun.

I'm being very careful this year. I have my normal primary care doctor visit on 9/30, and must get a blood test a week prior. Right now, I am not, even though I'm 76 today, on any meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, or diabetes. I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible, so I might freeze some of my goodies and pig out on them after that blood test.

This year, I plan to "visit" a few more restaurants online, those I happen to like and those near me. There's no way of telling until then whether they have "deals" or not until I check them out.

So, if any of you are foodies, check these treats out - enjoy what life has to offer - especially if it's free!

No comments: