Saturday, July 4, 2015

What I Cooked Up This Morning and Froze



You have no idea how happy I am that I tackled defrosting my upright freezer back on June 7th. I am having such fun filling it up with home-made stuff for easy defrosting.

About two weeks ago, I spent the week doing up some crockpot meals for the freezer.

This morning, I checked my veggie drawer. A couple I know who have a wonder-garden on their piece of land brought me some zucchini, Japanese eggplant, sugar snap peas and string beans earlier this week. I needed to save them before they "went" on me. I froze the string beans as is.

I just finished 9 "sides" for my freezer - I love it when I can grab something that is home-made and just needs defrosting, but I rarely have enough "sides" in there.

I took 3 of the longer Japanese eggplant and cut them in 1/4" thick circles and plopped them into my "potato pot." Then I snapped off all the blossom ends of the sugar snap peas and plopped them in. I added a jar of tomato/pasta sauce (home canned from my friends) and 1/2 can of Rotel (original variety) for tang. I simmered until mostly tender and divided into 5 sides of Evie's Asian Medley with Tang.

Then I took 2 of the zucchini and cut longways and then into bite-size pieces. I sprayed a non-stick skillet and added about 1/4 cup or less of olive oil and tossed the pieces in and put on med-high to start it off. Then I added about 1/2 tsp minced garlic (I keep a jar in the fridge) and sprinkled some Kraft grated parmesan cheese. When just barely cooked through, I divided into 4 servings of Evie's Garlic Parm Zucchini!

I am REALLY having fun! Still deciding on the 1 small spaghetti squash and the 1 small butternut - changed my mind several times...

Add to this, a neighbor just gave me 2 avocados last night because she knew she couldn't eat them in time, so I am going to cut, pit, and puree in my blender, and add some lemon juice (ReaLemon) and freeze into sauce cups for a spread whenever I feel like it. I first planned to just mash them and then my friend sent me a link that said to puree them instead because it would more evenly distribute the lemon to prevent darkening. The link suggested 1 tbsp of lemon juice per avocado.

Isn't this fun?  

No comments: