Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Blessings Often Overlooked



Every once in a while, I need to take a break between one task and another. This was never necessary when I was 50, or 60, or even 70. Now that I am 75, I find that it helps me to re-charge both my physical and mental batteries from time to time. 

When that time comes, if I’m at home, I often sit on Jane’s old lift-chair, pull a folded flat sheet (I keep it for a lightweight cover-up) over my feet and up to my neck, and before I know it, my 3-year-old kitty leaps up and flops on my tummy and chest, rising and lowering with each of my gentle breaths.

She loves it.  I love it.

And I suddenly realized a day or so ago that I am blessed beyond what I expect or want. For this, I am very thankful.

I know far too many people whose stress-level and chore-level and obligation-level is so high that there is no way they can take even a 20-minute break of this type.

I think, also of the local homeless and how much they would give to have this, my happy and guilty pleasure.

And I think of people in 3rd world countries, and our military, and others, who, too, do not have this brief but luxurious pleasure.

Dear Father in Heaven, I cannot help all these others except with a heartfelt prayer that you bless them at odd moments with a peace that surpasses all understanding, and thank you for this joy in my own life, even when it is brief.  

2 comments:

Charsbeads4u said...

Thankful that I read this blog., because I need to spend more quality time with the Lord. .. thank you for the gentle reminder!
Blessings,
Char

Evelyn Mayfield said...

I love the way you put that, Char - "quality time"! I guess we all need to do that in this busy world of ours today...Hugs...Evie