Saturday, October 25, 2014

The True Value of Hymns



Ever since I cut off my contract TV service, I have been enjoying my audio and visual entertainment in old-fashioned ways. Lately, I’ve been playing CDs I’ve had around as well as some gifted to me by dear friends in the past week or so. I pop them into my PC while I deal with emails, the blog, and such. 

I’ve got everything from easy listening to golden oldies and more. I’ve been enjoying Mel Torme (you’re probably too young to remember him), old Blue Eyes, Patsy Cline, John Denver and others.

Tonight, something made me put on Disc 2 of a collection of 50 Hymns. Most have the lyrics with them and just a few are instrumental. Tonight’s collection reminded me how much I love some of my old favorites. I’ve especially enjoyed Were You There When They Crucified My Lord, How Great Thou Art, Amazing Grace, Oh God Our Help in Ages Past, Abide with Me and others. 

I am so happy that Silkie, my 3-year-old rescue cat, does not mind me singing aloud at the computer tonight. In fact, it seems to have put her into a deep and peaceful sleep. I couldn’t even coax her into the living room for her beloved brushing-session.

When the disc ended, I just replayed again because it soothed me so much tonight. I think we sometimes think of hymns as having a place only when we are at services. But this isn’t the first time I’ve enjoyed the peace and love they pour into my heart and soul while I am at home. Many times, an old favorite will pop into my mind and I’ll enjoy replaying it, in my mind, throughout the day.

It’s a joyful way to help me stay focused on our real purpose here on earth - to do his will, stay on the right path as much as we can, and keep our eyes on eternal salvation. It’s not the moment that I need to be into, it is the reward at the end of the road that I need to keep in mind as often as possible.

Father, thank you for the simple blessings and joy I am receiving tonight with these hymns. Thank you that my electric is on and my computer is running and I can share my thoughts about this joy with others. Bless them, too, with opportunities to consider the inspiration within beloved hymns as often as possible. And bless the authors of the words and music of these hymns, and if they are now with you, bless their descendants here on earth.

No comments: